Quick tips for when your charge pleads, “I want to go home!”
- Don’t argue: Don’t tell your loved one they “are at home” or “can’t go home.” This will make them feel more confused or agitated.
- Distract: Change the subject, start a new activity, offer them a cup of tea. Tell them you’ll go home when you’re finished whatever you’re doing.
- Find the familiar: Your loved one is seeking familiarity. Look at old pictures, listen to old music, retell stories from the past to help them connect.
- Connect: Validate the person’s emotions. A hug or hand-holding can be soothing.
- Be vigilant: This phrase may be a sign that wandering will occur in the near future. Casually keep an eye on the person.
Don’t know where to turn? We have quick tips
About the author