When your loved one is prone to wandering:
1. Camouflage: Make doors and doorknobs less visible by painting them the same colours as the walls.
2. Cover Doorknobs: Use a loose-fitting cover so the cover turns instead of the knob.
3. Install Alarms: Wire beds and doors with alarms so you will be notified if the person wanders.
4. Leave Space: Give the person a space to wander safely—a path through the living room for example, or a route through a fenced-in backyard.
5. Reassure: If the person tells you they want to go home, don’t argue. Instead, reassure them, “We’ll be staying here tonight. You’re safe, I’m with you.”
About the author